Friday, October 31, 2014

ByoB's Review of The Spice of Life: The Transformation



Synopsis: 

The Spice of Life (or #TSOL, to fans) follows Jake Furie Lapin, a 37-year-old sexaholic and loving Dom. As the first book in a three-part series, TSOL explores Jake’s transformation from a submissive, out-of-shape man, stuck in a sexless marriage, to a strong, successful, fit, loving Dom. This first book follows Jake as he describes his many sexual adventures, in great detail, to Kelli, his sex therapist.

Kelli Lemberg is a successful sex therapist who has an office-based practice in Manhattan. Like Jake, Kelli finds herself trapped in a marriage that is lacking heat and passion. Through her sex therapy sessions with Jake, Kelli begins to undergo an amazing transformation of her own, as she uncovers and explores the depths of her own inner sexuality and sensual fire.

Review:

Jennifer's Review

*****3 out 5 stars*****

This book was just not for me.

Kelli is in a sex therapist in an unhappy, sexless marriage. Deciding to look elsewhere for the physical satisfaction that is missing she joins an online dating site that turns out to being a wash. When she finally does find someone she could be interested in he ends up being married as well and becoming her patient.

This is where the story stopped being relatable and interesting to me.

From here, most of the book is just this man, Jake, recounting stories from all of his past conquests. It seemed to me the stories, especially the sex scenes, were repetitive and the story line gets choppy. It made it hard to stay connected with the story and the characters. In the end I felt detached and empty.

Jess's Review

*****3 out of 5 stars*****

This is the story of Kelli, the sex therapist who is seeking something more for her life instead of being stuck in a marriage that is not satisfying. She meets Jake, the confident man from the bar. Jake becomes her "new patient" and through his sessions with Kelli we learn a little bit about Jake's transformation from submissive to dominant. 


What I did like about the story was the transformation that Jake went through. While at times it seemed a little far-fetched for my tastes, the journey made it interesting. It also seems like we have not heard all of his story. We have only learned bits and pieces of what made him into the self-assured and successful dominant man he is today. Kelli also was intriguing. I feel like she will later come out of her shell and this was just to set us up to read about her journey into self-discovery.

What I didn't like about the story was that at times the storytelling was disjointed and made it somewhat difficult to follow along. I also felt like I would want more of a particular story and instead of getting more it would switch to another story. I felt that I would have enjoyed it more if it followed a more logical telling of events and if we heard all of the parts before moving onto something else. While I was intrigued by Kelli, I lacked any real connection with her. I could sympathize with her situation but lacked the true understanding as to why she would stay married to someone like her husband for so long. The few glimpses we had into her past with him were less than ideal and made it very hard for me to connect with her. 

Overall the story was decent but not my normal cup of tea. I like dominant men and am usually fascinated by BDSM, but do have a problem when people stay in loveless marriages with no real intentions of leaving. I'm not a big fan of cheating and multiple partners, unless there are specific reasons for it and I did not see the specific reasons in this case.

Jenny's Review

*****2 out of 5 stars*****

Was a little disappointed. If you asked me what this book was about my response would be "um, well, um." I mean I know I was reading because I was turning the pages. This book did nothing for me. The characters just seemed to annoy me more then anything. There is Kelli who has a sexless marriage to her jerk of a husband, who acts like she is nonexistent. They have poor communication with each other. When Jake's character was introduced I thought finally things are about to get HOT. When Jake and Kelli agreed to their sessions and Jake made his demands, I felt like saying Screw you Kelli's husband she found someone way more interesting. Interesting was was the wrong word, I didn't like Jake or how Kelli just jumped to his commands. I couldn't finish the book fast enough, it's not one I would recommend.


Nickea's Review*****2 out of 5 stars*****
*********************CAUTION: CONTAINS SPOILERS!**********************I was given an ARC copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. With that being said I have to be completely honest. I hated this book within minutes of reading it. First you meet Kelli the sex therapist who is in a sexless, meaningless marriage that she has been in for years. She's unhappy and that's easy to see. Her husband doesn't much as acknowledge her but I find that to be her own fault as well. What type of therapist and a sex therapist to boot cant even get her own husband to open up to her? Well Kelli decides after a night out on the town with her loser husband that she is going to get onto a dating website for married people. All this because it's New Years and for the second year in a row her husband has failed to initiate any type of intimacy between them. So after making her profile and attempting to meet someone she meets no one. Most of the guys are either inappropriate or only looking to have sex. My first thought was why didn't she see that coming from the beginning. She got on a site for people looking to cheat on their spouses? So after almost giving up with the website and coming to terms with he unfulfilled marriage she gets an email from a guy that sounds genuine and honestly interesting. At this point I thought the story was going to get a little better. They exchange emails ending with the guy asking to meet up with her at a local happy hour. She debated with herself for days on whether to take the invite and reluctantly she decided to answer him back agreeing to go. He never responses after "yes" message to meet up. Typical male in my opinion. She tries not to dwell on the fact that he hasn't responded when she gets a call from a long time friend that has come to town wanting to hang out with her. Her friend mentions the happy hour spot that she was thinking of meeting up with her mystery guy so she accepts her friends plans to go out. In the back of her mind she's hoping to run into a guy that she doesn't know or even seen an actual picture of. Kelli and her friend go out and they get a few drinks when she notices a guy staring at her from the bar. She's intrigued by him and eventually makes her way over to him. they talk and she reveals she's a sex therapist and they talk about him needing a few sessions. While talking to him she finds him familiar but cant put a finger on it. For a therapist to me she wasn't at all that bright. In fact to me she seemed a little clueless.They arrange to set up some meetings but not before Jake tells her he needs her to wear specific articles of clothing for their sessions.She follows his words to the letter seeming captivated by anything the man had to say. At there first session she learns about Jake's wild weekend and that he is into some form of BDMS. In my opinion Jake didn't need therapy at all and it all seemed like a way of boasting about his sexual history. Jake talked and Kelli listened to his long winded speeches. And they were very long winded. Most of the time he was talking about how big he was or how much women loved him for what he could do.I found it all to be a turn off but Kelli surely didn't. This went on and he talked about his childhood and varies things that had happen that lead him deeper into his world of BDMS. He even told her about his own unfulfilled marriage which Kelli even after hearing all the cheating that he's done still found him attractive. Every therapy session he talked more about himself and gave more insight on who he was but by the end of the book i just found him disgusting.There is no way I would ever consider a man sexy whom brags about having unprotected sex with random strangers and people he may have known but not had many encounters with. What I really found strange was why Kelli seemed so drown to him. He was arrogant and superficial even with all the stories he told about himself be kind hearted and being able to see into someone soul. Kelli ultimately ends up lusting over Jake and all his stories.Their relationship gets weirder as they boarder on flirting and trying to keep things professional. Jake ask different stuff from her at the end of every session showing his dominance over her and Kelli willingly shows her submission with each request as she follows through with his orders. Never once have they talked about getting together but you can tell with all the directions he barks out and her quick to jump attitude this will soon be leading to more between the two of them. The book left you hanging onto a very steep cliff which i rather jump over than continue reading this series. I refuse to hear anymore stories about unprotected sex with strangers.It wasn't even hot sex.It was just blah. I will say that Mr. Lapin is a good writer. This story could be promising if he was a better story teller. So grammatically it was good but the story itself i found to be lacking. I will not be continuing on in this series.but for those brave few that do i hope they enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment