Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Diane's Review ~ The Last Shot by Sara Hubbard

The Last ShotThe Last Shot by Sara Hubbard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

description

When you can’t let go of the past…

Ethan Michaels and Annie Fraser can compare notes on crappy childhoods though Annie is definitely ahead in that game. Annie’s life improved when she moved to Ethan’s hometown to live with her grandmother but Ethan’s world fell apart after his mother died. Finding each other as kids, their connection started with friendship and grew to more as they tried to survive the ugliness… together. If only Annie could have convinced herself she deserved that love – and it would last – she may not have broken up with Ethan after his NHL career took off. Given another chance to make things right would they part again as enemies or friends? Or would they be able to make it work this time?

“You two are the same. I love you, I hate you. I don’t want to talk about it. Just f** and get it over with. You know you want to.”

And perhaps that summarizes their conflict perfectly. Annie had a horrendous childhood with her mother though not a lot of details are given. I wish I understood more about what happened then as it affects the storyline so much. Not that I’m looking for gory details but connecting with her character – and the decisions she makes – would have made this story even more enjoyable. Annie is very nurturing as you see her taking personal interest in her patients and even those who don’t seem to deserve her help. On the other side of the coin, though, she doesn’t see how she deserves that same care from one of the few people who loves and accepts her as she is. I think I got Ethan a bit more just because of his open and honest way of dealing with things – even if that involved knee-jerk reactions to things.

A second chance romance that has me looking for more by this author.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment