Thursday, February 2, 2017

Diane's Review ~ Drowning by Marni Mann & Gia Riley

DrowningDrowning by Marni Mann
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

description

Strength and emotion…
I feel like I need to give two separate reviews for this story that felt like two very different styles and content coming together. The first half was intense, emotional, grab-your-heart by the throat suspense. Andi was strong despite her pain and fear, determined to break free, to use the opportunity she’d been given.
“…never took anything for granted, and on her worst day, she would find a way to mask her pain long enough to put one foot in front of the other…”
Clay was more of a mystery even as I felt the frustration and air of regret that followed him.
“Thinking leads to memories and regret, and that hurts too fucking much.”
Andi’s circumstances were very clear as I quickly invested in her and her plight. My heart raced and my anxiety rose with hers… The pages flew by as chapter by chapter the intensity ebbed and flowed along with the strong emotions and events that affected them both.
“He saw me, even when I wished I were invisible.”
Just as I was beginning to “get” these intriguing characters, the tempo and the ‘feel’ of the story shifted. The second half was just as well-written, the romance sexy and sweet, but somehow the switch left me struggling to understand what changed. I admit it was a bit jarring as the momentum went in a decidedly different direction before circling back…
Despite, that, the characters and their story had my complete focus as I finished the book in one marathon session. If I had any lingering misgivings, the wrap up to the story was my reward as I closed the last page with happy satisfaction…


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment