Thursday, April 27, 2017

Shy's Review ~ The Boy Friend by Mika Jolie

The Boy FriendThe Boy Friend by Mika Jolie
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

description

This is a cute contemporary romance that asks the age-old question of whether or not a man and a woman can be just friends. In this story you have Dean and Coriander AKA Cori, who have been friends since elementary school. Fast forward twenty years or so and the two are still going very strong with their friendship. But a surprise announcement from Cori sends the two down a path that will definitely force them to reassess their own friendship and whether or not it can or should be more.

There were a lot of things that I liked about this story. I love a story that can take a great group of friends, show them hanging out and showcase all the great dynamics between the different personalities. It of course leads me to wonder which of these secondary characters are going to get their story next, or at all, while enjoying the development of things between the two main characters. This book definitely offered that. There was supportive family members, some funny dialogue, and a strong friendship not just between the two main characters but between the entire group that I really felt in the heart of this story.

However there were also some things that I didn't like as much. While I am all for a cocky leading man, I'm even in favor of an alpha jerk, I just would prefer not to constantly be told, by the character, how awesome they are. I want more of the actions to show what a great guy they are, or are not. In this case for me there was just a little too much tell to go along with the show. In the end I did like the leading man and I enjoyed his journey of growing up and realizing what he truly wanted. But there were just a few too many moments where he was telling us the readers how great he was or how fantastic him and his friends were and even as I was reading a line telling me to stop rolling my eyes, I still found myself doing it.

This was one of those stories where I felt like I was being told a story as opposed to being in the story and I had to get used to that flow. But overall it was an enjoyable book. It was light and funny, with a few moments of emotion thrown in that helped me connect with the characters.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment