Thursday, May 11, 2017

Diane's Review ~ The Wrong Game by Charlie M. Matthews

The Wrong GameThe Wrong Game by Charlie M. Matthews
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

description

Drama galore….
Drama. Around every corner and conversation. Heartfelt. Quiet. Loud. Surprising. Shocking. Every chapter of this emotional read takes some turn at the dramatic wheel.
Lola and Taylor are college students with seemingly very little in common. Young, handsome, talented, Taylor is ruling the football field, with the world his for the asking. Including any girl that catches his eye. Lola, on the other hand, is doing all she can to fit in quietly. She wants to concentrate on her studies as she continues to face, and battle, the inner demons that haunt her. Their facades are just that and the revelations keep coming as their friendship allows the layers to be peeled away, one after the other…
I was ready for tortured angst. Anticipated it. And I certainly found it. Lola and Taylor’s problems were not minor. They were life-altering, major issues involving family and their life. And I soon came to care about them and their problems. I liked these characters who fought hard to figure out their place in a world that didn’t make sense to them most of the time. They bonded over a growing attraction as well as an “us against the world” mentality and that wasn’t easy to do considering their own fears were often their worst enemies.
I admit the drama became wearing after a while as it was relentless. They were young characters and it showed in questionable choices and actions. The sheer head-spinning nature of the back and forth – as well as the details of that back and forth - left me dizzy on more than one occasion.
Did I like this story? I did. The story was not fluffy but it was filled with emotion that I couldn’t help but get caught up in. Was I disappointed in the speed and frequency of “about faces”? Yes I was. At the end of the day though, and the book, I knew this was an author I would read again if just for the sheer honesty of her voice.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment